5.1.12

Busy end to an amazing year

So school is over and done with; however, words can't describe how much I miss being there and seeing my class-mates. There was a lot to soak in the last five months or so and I still need to process it all as well as see what I can do with it.

Our instructor for nearly majority of the last half of school was and is an amazing life saver. Nancy really rides on you for more reasons than you would know and all for your own good. Her theory and efficiency will forever be nailed in my head, even when I'm not in the kitchen I find myself working efficiently :) thank you Nancy!

My class-mates are the soul reason why I am sane today. Our sexual connotations and profanity will forever swim through my head and make me snicker :) Thanks guys for being awesome help and keeping it real every day!

I had a three week practicum for the final weeks of the programme and so I was sent to Terra Breads. This company is really a tight knit family with an obvious attention and passion to the quality of the products. I appreciate all the criticism, suggestions, and opinions I received from everyone there. Being acknowledged as part of the team with a simple "hello Marco how are you?" feels just as good. Thank you team Terra!

 During the same time through to Christmas I was helping my friends with their booth at the Vancouver Christmas Market; I helped his mother make the schupfnudeln whenever I was available. It took some understanding of the environment, time, and conditions to be as efficient and retain the quality the pasta needed to keep his customers happy. My friends mom was a powerhouse, putting many hours and huge amounts of energy into the 31 days; it was a shame I couldn't help her more than I did. In the end it sounded like from the Markets end of things it went really well and picked up nicely in the final weeks.

What's next for me and this blog? Well I am setting some goals for this year and somewhat for the next.
I will continue to create and experiment at home while I look for a placement somewhere in the city.
I plan to obtain a dual citizenship so that I can work in Europe for some time. This may or may not happen this year it just all depends on timing and how quick things roll.
I also look forward to hitting up a good sized canvas and painting something my parents have been asking for for a while now :)
For now I leave you with a couple of photos I took of a nice sourdough loaf I made last night with a natural sour I created a month back. I baked it in a cast iron skillet which gave it a nice thick crisp crust and moist chewy interior.



No comments: