2.3.11

Something new


So class starts in over a week from today. I am excited and nervous, as anyone would be going into something they never thought they would do, but I'm sure it will be fun...and tasty.

I come from a very traditional Italian family so food is in my blood, "Mangiare per vivere e non vivere per mangiare: Eat to live and not live to eat, " and since a very young age I would watch my parents cook a lot of meals. Since then I have experimented with food and learned a lot about flavours; from inedible rock hard cookies, smoothies made from strawberries and coffee to over-spiced ragù, I learned from my mistakes.

It wasn't until a few years back when a trip to Italy and France has opened my eyes to the culture of food. Food is the one thing to truly bring people together. We sit together and talk about our day through a good meal. We catch up with an old friend with a coffee in one hand and a mouth stuffed with an éclair. I love the feeling of making a killer meal for my family or a dessert for some friends; their smiles and compliments are the product of my concoction, what an awesome reward!

I always thought art would be my career while cucina/ cuisine was just my hobby. I think this advanced baking programme at VCC might take me for a fool, something I really hope happens. Plus to have a sense of art and what looks pleasing to ones eyes is half of what makes food look mouth-watering. It would be a dream of mine to be able to work in Italy to build my skills and tastes with a future possibility of opening my own tiny place in the core of the best city in the world we live in, VANCOUVER!

Chi mangia bene viva bene!

4 comments:

Kengo Ito said...

Good luck with the program Marco! I'm sure you're gonna have a lot of fun.

Cory Osterberg said...

I think you'll do great, just sling some of that fine cuisine my way...

win said...

hi~
i'm in the baking program @ VCC as well~ i'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as i do.. and if you started today you probably came by the lab i worked in :)

Marco said...

Thank you guys! LOL Cory I will try my best.

Hi Win, I'm sure we did bump into each other at some point. Curious to know how you came across my blog :)